Every month we send an email newsletter to our supporters sharing recent updates from our work. We publish selected portions of the newsletter on our blog to make this news more accessible to people who visit our website. For key updates from the latest installment, please see below!
If you’d like to receive the complete newsletter in your inbox each month, you can subscribe here.
We’ve recently published a number of new research pages—below are a few highlights. If you’d like to sign up for email updates whenever we publish new research materials, you can do so here.
- Perennial malaria chemoprevention in Ghana
- In February 2023, GiveWell recommended a $1.6 million grant to PATH to coordinate a randomized controlled trial measuring the effectiveness of malaria interventions for infants and young children living in areas with perennial transmissions of malaria. The trial, which will take place in Ghana, will compare the effects of administering the RTS,S malaria vaccine and perennial malaria chemoprevention (PMC) together versus the effects of administering only the vaccine. These types of trials can provide evidence to governments about the most effective malaria programs for their settings.
- Water chlorination in Kenya, India, and Nigeria
- In January 2023, GiveWell recommended a $1.8 million grant to the Development Innovation Lab (DIL) at the University of Chicago to conduct research on water chlorination programs in Kenya and develop plans for additional research on chlorination in India and Nigeria. We think water chlorination is a cost-effective way to avert deaths and have recently made several grants to support chlorination programs. The results of this grant will improve our understanding of such programs and could potentially lead to more funding for them in the future.
- Organizational support for IRD Global
- In April 2023, GiveWell recommended a $5.4 million grant to IRD Global for organizational support. We believe IRD Global has the potential to be an unusually promising grantee because of its emphasis on high-quality evidence, transparency, and proven operational capacity in areas with high disease burdens. We expect this grant will strengthen the organization and increase its likelihood of implementing cost-effective programs in the future.
Updates from top charities
New Incentives recently announced that it has enrolled over 1 million infants in its immunization program so far in 2023, more than in all previous years combined! In this video, Magaji Soja, a routine immunization provider, shares his experience as a vaccinator at one of 5,240 clinics where New Incentives operates in northern Nigeria. In May 2023, we made a grant to New Incentives to extend and expand its work, so more children can receive vaccines and live healthier lives.
Your questions, answered
The mailbag spotlights common questions we get from donors and followers about GiveWell’s work. Got a question of your own? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or post a comment to our most recent open thread.
Q: What is the best way to send a donation to GiveWell before the end of the year?
A: Making a donation online is the easiest and most efficient way to give to GiveWell. Our donation page allows you to donate with a credit card, bank account (ACH), PayPal, or Google Pay. It allows you to choose the charity or fund you would like your donation to support and requires the least administrative work by the GiveWell team. You can also choose to donate through check, wire transfer, cryptocurrency, or stocks and securities.
Please note that if tax deductibility in 2023 is important to you, we encourage you to make any planned donations well in advance of end-of-year deadlines. All electronic donations (credit card, securities, transfers, cryptocurrency, etc.) must be received by 11:59 PM EST on December 31, 2023, and all checks must be postmarked on or before December 31, 2023. Our experience is that delays can occur with any payment method, most notably when working with a broker, bank, or other third party to initiate a transaction.
We’ve created a Frequently Asked Questions page with answers to commonly asked donation-related questions. If you have a question not covered in the FAQs, please feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com.
We appreciate your generosity and support of effective giving. Thank you for considering us for an end-of-year gift!